Alhaji Mohammed Kari, ACII, AIIN
Alhaji Mohammed Kari is the Commissioner for Insurance, Nigeria and Chief Executive Officer of the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM), the insurance supervisory and regulatory authority in Nigeria. He is a Chartered Insurance Practitioner with over 36 years of experience in Insurance and Management, stretching from the private to the public sectors where he has managed some of the biggest insurance entities in Nigeria.
Prior to his appointment on July 31, 2015 as Nigeria’s Commissioner for Insurance and Chief Executive Officer of the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM) , Alhaji Kari was the Deputy Commissioner for Insurance (Technical) where he was saddled with the responsibility of superintending over technical issues in the Commission.
He started his career with Royal Exchange Assurance Nigeria, Kano Branch, in 1979 upon completion of a Diploma in Insurance program at the prestigious Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. Two years later, he proceeded to the Caledonian University Glasgow, Scotland to study on full time basis; the Associateship of the Chartered Insurance Institute (ACII). On his return in 1984, he joined Yankari Insurance Company where he worked until 1989, when he was appointed as an Executive Director in Niger Insurance Plc.
In January 1992, he was appointed the Managing Director/Chief Executive of Nigeria Reinsurance Corporation, a position he held until March 1993 when he was moved to the National Insurance Corporation of Nigeria (NICON) as the Managing Director/Chief Executive, a then leading company in the financial sector and the Insurance industry. He served in that capacity until January 2000 when he resigned his appointment to set-up Arit Solutions Limited. In September 2001, he proceeded to the University of Central England in Birmingham, United Kingdom to undertake an MBA program. He has since graduated with a Masters Degree in Information Management. This is further enhanced by his obtainment of Professional Certification from the Learning Tree Centre in the United Kingdom for IT Management. Alhaji Kari started and managed Arit Consult Limited, an Information and Communication Solutions Company as the Lead Consultant. He returned to Insurance management in 2007 as the Managing Director/Chief Executive of Unity Kapital Assurance Plc after the acquisition and merger of three companies that formed the entity.
On the professional level, he has equally served in various capacities in the following organizations:
- Member of the West Africa Insurance Companies Association (WAICA).
- President, United Nations Committee on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).
- Chairman of Council, United Nations Committee on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) (two consecutive terms).
- Vice Chairman, Financial Services Committee (two sessions).
- Member Governing Council African Insurance Organisation (AIO).
- Member, Council of the Bureaux of the ECOWAS Brown Card Scheme.
- Chairman, Council of the Bureaux of the ECOWAS Brown Card Scheme (two sessions).
- Governing Council Member of Nigeria Insurers Association (NIA).
- Governing Council Member, Chartered Insurance Institute of Nigeria (CIIN).
- Governing Board Member, Nigerian Council of Registered Insurance Brokers (NCRIB)
He was also a member of the Nigerian Vision 2010, a member of the Vision 20:2020 Committee and a recipient of the much-coveted African Insurance Organisation’s gold medal for excellence.